Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh attended Evensong at the Chapel Royal Hampton Court Palace, to celebrate the Centenary of the founding of the Companions of Honour on the 4th June, 1917 by King George V.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were met upon arrival by The Dean of Her Majesty’s Chapels’ Royal, The Right Reverend and Right Honourable Richard Chartres, KCVO. A fanfare was sounded and the Royal party then proceeded into the Chapel Royal for Evensong. Canon Anthony Howe conducted the service and is the Chaplain of the Chapel Royal at Hampton Court Palace.
The Right Reverend and Right Honourable Richard Chartres delivered the address during the ceremony, saying: “The spirit of this Order recognises those who have obeyed a calling to serve the world…The Order stands not merely for public achievements but for the kind of integrity and unshakeable commitment to principle which comes from obeying a calling beyond our immediate self-interest.”
On conclusion of the service the Royal party attended a reception with members, including Sir David Attenborough O.M., C.H., C.V.O.,C.B.E, Dame Judith Olivia Dench C.H., D.B.E., Sir John Major K.G., C.H. and Dame Mary Peters C.H., D.B.E.
The Order of the Companion of Honour was founded on 4th June 1917 by King George V and may be conferred on men and women for recognised services of national importance in the fields of arts, science, medicine or government. The members of which there are up to sixty-five at any one time, currently include fifty-four. Non-British nationals, including Commonwealth figures, can be honorary members of the Order.
The Chapel Royal at Hampton Court Palace is part of the Ecclesiastical Household of Her Majesty The Queen. Begun in 1528 by Cardinal Wolsey, it is one of the Hampton Court’s highlights, as well as being home to one of Britain’s leading choirs. For five centuries, music has been an integral part of ceremony and life at Hampton Court. Many monarchs have heard sacred music here, sung underneath Henry VIII’s sumptuous ceiling, installed in 1535. Today the Chapel Royal continues as a place of worship, serving the Queen, the Palace community and visitors. Services are open to all who wish to attend.